welcome back to “healthy eating for busy moms series”.
it is alphabet “S” and when I had thought about any healthy ingredients that start from “S”, the first thing came in my mind is “Sprouts”.
indeed sprouts are one of the most commonly used healthy substance and used widely in most of the household.
What is sprouting?
As per Wikipedia, ” Sprouting is the natural process by which seeds or spores germinate and put out shoots and already established plants produce new leaves or buds”.
in short,” Sprouting is the term that signifies the practice of germinating seeds to be eaten raw or cooked, which is considered as highly nutritious”.
Health benefits of Sprouts
Adding sprouts to your routine diet offers so many health benefits, such as helps in weight loss, good for digestion and a great remedy for anemia. sprouts are great source of omega 3 fatty acid. and they nourish our body with other essential nutrients.
In my household, I use various kinds of sprouts like mung, moth and chana. among all these, sprouted moong are my personal favorite.
in this post, I am sharing three easy and healthy recipes with sprouted moong beans. read on the post to know more!
Three easy and healthy sprouted moong bean recipes
Sprouted bean ( moong) soup
- Sprouted moong beans 2 cup
- Green chill-garlic paste 1 teaspoon ( optional)
- Finely chopped onion and tomato 1/2 ( optional)
- Cumin seed, hing or asafoetida for tempering
- Oil or ghee as needed
- Salt, black paper powder as per taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- First take out sprouted moong, wash it thoroughly and boil it for 10-15 minutes. when they turn tender, keep them aside.
- Heat the oil or ghee in a pan,
- Add hing, cumin seed as a tadka.
- Next, add finely chopped onion, and ginger-garlic paste. stir them properly. when they change color, add finely chopped tomato.
- Stir again, and mixed all things properly. if you want to make a simple or jain version, you can avoid adding onion.
- Next, add boiled moong and add water.
- Now, take a hand blender, and blend everything well. for this step, you can use another method too. if you do not have hand blender, grind the boiled moong in a grinder and make a semi solid paste.
- And add the paste to prepare tempering.
- Add enough water. and allow them to boil for few minutes.
- Next add salt and black paper powder
- Garnish this with coriander leaves. your tasty and healthy sprouted moong bean is ready to enjoy.
- You can use green gram ( moong dal) or other pulses like red lentil ( masoor dal) instead of sprouted beans. use the same method as mentioned above and you can create another healthy variety of healthy and tasty soup. re lentil soup is my another favorite soup and I often make this for dinner.
- As another addition, you may add finely chopped vegetables of your choice ( like spinach or capsicum) to make a healthier version of this soup.
- You may make this soup filling or clear as per your taste preference. if you want to make a clear soup, sieve it by adding enough water and boil it again for few minutes.
Stir fry sprouted bean ( Moong)
This one is my most favouite breakfast recipe and I like to keep it simple. just heat the oil and add cumin seed and hing as tempering. you may add finely chopped green chillies and tomatoes. stir them properly, now mixed sprouted moong, add dry spices ( red chill, powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder), and salt. mixed all these properly. cooked for 3-4 minutes. your healthy and tasty stir fry sprouted moong is ready to enjoy.
Sprouted bean salad
This one is another easy and quick recipe with sprouts and I am sure you all had tried this before. you can be creative with this and can use any fruits, nuts and vegetables of your choice. take a large bowl and mixed all ingredients of your choice, and then mixed sprouted beans. add dressing of your choice or use simple spices like salt, black paper powder and chat masala. add 1 teaspoon lemon juice, toss everything well. your tasty and healthy sprouted bean salad is ready to enjoy.
If you are a newbie to cooking and did not know how to make sprouts at home. read this post to know more,How to make sprouts at home
So, this is all for now.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. which one is your favourite? please share with me.
if you had missed previous posts of this series. click here.
If you had missed previous posts of this series. Click here!
read the first post ( if you had missed) Amaranth Paratha
Read the second post Barnyard millet khichdi
Read third post Chickpea salad with carrot soup
Read fourth post Dal Dhokli
Read fifth post Energy Buddha Bowl
Read sixth post Fenugreek (Methi) Thepla
Seventh post Green (Spinach) chapati with bottle gourd curry
Read 8th post Handvo
Read 9th post Idli with a healthy twist
Read the 10th post Jaggery paratha
Read 11 post Khichdi with multigrain nutrition
Read 12th post Leftover laziz paratha
Read 13th post Moong bean sandwich with tomato soup
Read 14th post Mixed grain pancakes
Read 15th post – Oats with curd
Read 16th post Paneer-Veg roll
Read 17 th post Quinoa pulav
Read 18th post Rava dhokla
If you like my content, then please follow me on
And subscribe to
Image sources https://www.canva.com/