Hi everyone and welcome back to healthy eating for busy mom series.
As “R”, I am again sharing a healthy and tasty recipe, hoping you would like it. the name of recipe is,“Rava Dhokla”.
Though it is a gujrati dish but nowadays, it is famous in all parts of India. It is easy to make, healthy and could be used as a great option for lunch box too.
What is dhokla?
Dhokla is basically a soft, spongy and savory cake usually make with gram flour. But as a variation, you can use other lentil-rice mixed or rava (semolina) as well. In fact, you can add Varity of vegetables too, to make it healthier.
In my family my elder one is a big foodie and she always demands new options for her lunch box. This recipe is again her most favorite one.
- Sooji or rava 2 cup
- Curd ½ cup
- Green chili-ginger paste 1-2 teaspoon
- Salt as per taste
- Soda bio carb or fruit salt ¼ teaspoon
- For tempering Oil as needed
- Mustard seeds and white sesame seed 1-2 teaspoon
- Hing or asaphoetida pinch
- Curry leaves few
- First take out semolina or rava in a bowl, and add salt.
- Now. Take 3-5 green chilies and short piece of ginger and make a paste. (you can increase or decrease chilies as per your taste)
- Mixed this paste to rava mixture.
- Now, take curd and mixed it (make sure curd is not too sour, otherwise dhokla will not taste good)
- Mixed all things properly and make a uniform batter.
- At the end, add ¼ teaspoon soda bio carb (add this always in end and do not mixed it so vigorously)
- Take out steamer and grease the plates with oil.
- Pour batter evenly on plates and put the steamer on gas for 15-20 minutes.
- Check by inserting knife, when it gets cooked properly. Take out this from gas and wait for getting it cool down. After few minutes, cut the sqaure or triangle shapes of dhokla.
- Now, prepare tempering. Heat the oil and first add curry leaves, then add hing, sesame seeds and mustard seeds. When it gets spluttered, pour this tempering on prepare dhokla.
- Garnish this with grated coconut and coriander leaves.
- Serve this with stir fried green chilies and green chutney.
- Your tasty and healthy rava dhokla is ready to enjoy.
There are plenty of varieties of dhokla, and you can make so many different variations of dhokla. I am sharing few other popular options here.
This is one of the most popular variety of dhokla. Khaman dhokla is made by gram flour ( besan). You need to take 2 cup gram flour in a bowl, and then mixed salt, green chili-ginger paste, little oil, sugar, and lemon crystals 1 teaspoon ( nimbu ka satt) in it. Mixed all things properly. At the end, add soda bio carb or fruit salt (¼ teaspoon) in it. Steam it for 15-20 minutes. When it gets cooked properly, allow this to cool down and add tempering like we had added in rava dhokla.
Watch this video to learn more about Khaman dhokla
Rice- black gram dhokla
This one is fermented variety of dhokla. it is made with rice and back gram ( urad dal). For making this, take 1 cup rice and ¼ cup black gram (urad dal) and soak this for 3-4 hours, and grind this mixture by adding little water. Put this mixture for fermentation for 7-8 hours. When it gets fermented, all green chili-ginger paste, salt, ¼ cup curd, soda bio- carb ¼ teaspoon. Mixed all these things properly and put on steamer. And cook it like other dhokla and add the tempering at the end.
Watch this to learn more about rice and urad dal dhokla
Sandwich dhokla is an interesting version of routine dhokla. In this, a green chutney layer is used in between two layers of dhokla. And you can try this method with all other types of dhokla, like rava dhokla, rice-lentil dhokla and with khaman dhokla. First prepare your dhokla batter and also prepare green chutney. Spread out one layer of dhokla in plate and allow this to cook for 7-8 minutes, now spread the layer of green chutney and spread another layer of dhokla batter. And steam this again for 10-15 minutes. Add tempering at the end, your tasty sandwich dhokla is ready to enjoy.
Watch this video to learn more about sandwich dhokla.
So, these are some healthy and tasty varieties of dhokla. Which one is your favorite? Please share with me.
It’s all for now, will share another healthy recipe in the next post.
If you had missed previous posts of this series. Click here!
read the first post ( if you had missed) Amaranth Paratha
Read the second post Barnyard millet khichdi
Read third post Chickpea salad with carrot soup
Read fourth post Dal Dhokli
Read fifth post Energy Buddha Bowl
Read sixth post Fenugreek (Methi) Thepla
Seventh post Green (Spinach) chapati with bottle gourd curry
Read 8th post Handvo
Read 9th post Idli with a healthy twist
Read the 10th post Jaggery paratha
Read 11 post Khichdi with multigrain nutrition
Read 12th post Leftover laziz paratha
Read 13th post Moong bean sandwich with tomato soup
Read 14th post Mixed grain pancakes
Read 15th post – Oats with curd
Read 16th post Paneer-Veg roll
Read 17 th post Quinoa pulav
If you like my content, then please follow me on
And subscribe to