Ahh..a sign of relief. It has been day 17 of #Blogchattera2Z and we had reached on alphabet “Q”. Only few more days to go…
and as “Q”, I am again excited to share a healthy recipe that could be used in lunch and dinner.
When I had started writing this post, and thought about healthy ingredients that begins with “Q”, the first ingredients came in my mind was “Quinoa”.
What is Quinoa?
According to Wikipedia, quinoa is a pseudo-cereal that is botanically related with spinach and amaranth. it is originated from Andean region of south america and now, its cultivation has spread in more than 70 countries including Kenya, India and several European countries.
Health benefits of Quinoa
Nowadays quinoa is a latest craze in fitness and nutritional industry. It is high in protein and fiber and gluten free substance and that’s why it is an excellent alternative to wheat. People with wheat allergy can used this as a great alternative food.
Also, for diabetic people, it is a great option. Due to high fiber contain, it is also a good option for weight loss. It has lots of benefits for our health.
The cooking method for quinoa is similar to making rice, so you can make most of the rice recipes with quinoa by substituting rice with quinoa.
In this post, I am sharing “Quinoa Pulav recipe”, hoping you would like it.
- Quinoa 2 cup
- Mixed vegetables of your choice 2 cup (green peas, beans, potato, cauliflower, corn, tomato and other seasonal vegetables)
- Green chili 3-4 finely chopped
- Ghee or oil
- Whole spices (cinnamon stick-3, cloves-5, Black paper whole-8, Cloves 4-5, cardamom 3-4, you can increase or decrease the quantity of these spices as per your choice and preference)
- Other routine spices (red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder)
- As first step, take quinoa in a clean bowl and wash this under tape water thoroughly for 3-4 times. This step is extremely important, otherwise it may taste bitter.
- After proper washing, take some water and soak this for 20-30 minutes.
- Now, switch on the gas and put a heavy bottom vessel on it.
- Add 2-3 teaspoon of oil or ghee in it.
- When, it heats add whole spices one by one
- Add cumin seeds and allow them to spluttered
- Now, add green chilies and stir it, wait for few minutes and then add chopped vegetables in it.
- Mixed it properly and add other dry spices of your choice (red chili, coriander powder)
- Add soaked quinoa to this mixture
- Add salt and mixed all things properly
- Now, add water. Adjust amount of water as per your choice. If you like mushy consistency (like khichdi) add more water, like double in ratio. Otherwise, less than double is good enough. For example, if you had taken 2 cup quinoa, add 3 cups of water.
- Cover the lid and allow this to cook for 10 minutes.
- Check the grain, when it feels soft and properly cooked. Turned off the heat.
- Your healthy quinoa pulao is ready to eat.
“Quinoa salad” is another excellent recipe from quinoa and could be used as a great healthy option for dinner and salad. It takes less time and great for busy weekdays routine.
- Take favorite vegetables and fruits of your choice and cut them properly after washing.
- Prepare quinoa after proper washing. Add double water and cook this for 10 minutes or until it gets cooked properly.
- Make dressing by adding olive oil, lemon juice, mustard powder, vinegar, salt, ginger powder, black pepper powder. You can be experimental with dressing and can add or reduce ingredients as per your choice and taste, read this post to know more about salad dressings for quinoa salad.
- Mixed all the ingredients properly, your quinoa salad is ready to serve.
I am sure you would be agreed that quinoa and other ancient grains are not a part of our routine diet and it takes time and patience to develop its taste.
This would be unfair, if I will end this post without sharing my honest confession about the taste of quinoa.
I had tried two-three recipes with quinoa. sadly, it did not taste that good to me (I found it somewhat bitter in taste)
I am still in the experimental state and trying to develop its taste. After writing this post, feeling inspired and will try more recipe with this.
Would love to know your experience? Have you had any problem with quinoa taste? Which one is your favorite quinoa recipe? Please share with me.
It’s all for now, will share another healthy recipe in the next post.
If you had missed previous posts of this series. Click here!
read the first post ( if you had missed) Amaranth Paratha
Read the second post Barnyard millet khichdi
Read third post Chickpea salad with carrot soup
Read fourth post Dal Dhokli
Read fifth post Energy Buddha Bowl
Read sixth post Fenugreek (Methi) Thepla
Seventh post Green (Spinach) chapati with bottle gourd curry
Read 8th post Handvo
Read 9th post Idli with a healthy twist
Read the 10th post Jaggery paratha
Read 11 post Khichdi with multigrain nutrition
read 12th post Leftover laziz paratha
Read 13th post Moong bean sandwich with tomato soup
Read 14th post Mixed grain pancakes
Read 15th post – Oats with curd
Read 16th post Paneer-Veg roll
If you like my content, then please follow me on
And subscribe to
photo credit: verchmarco Gerstensamen in einer Schüssel auf einem Hochzeitsritual via photopin (license)
photo credit: verchmarco Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables (Flip 2019) (Flip 2019) via photopin (license)