Its day 10 of #BlogchatterA2Z and I am excited to share another post for the “healthy eating for busy moms” series.
It is letter “J” and when I had thought about the healthy ingredients that start from “J”, the first thing came in my mind was “Jaggery”.
“Jaggerey” or gud in hindi is an unrefined sugar product that is widely used in Asia and Africa. Sometimes it is also called “Centrifugal sugar”. It contains up to 50% sucrose, up to 20% invert sugar and up to 20% moisture. It has lots of health benefits .and in India, it has been used widely during winters.
Health benefits of Jaggery
Jaggery is a highly nutritious substance that is rich in minerals and other essential nutrients. it contains good amount of iron and considered as a good options for anaemic people.
Great for digestion and helps in preventing constipation. it is a great natural sweetener and provide good amount of energy for long period. as it is high in calories, diabetic and obese people should avoid its use.
There are number of dishes that can be made by use of jaggery.
Among those, I am sharing one easiest recipe. This recipe is a great option for kid’s lunch boxes. If your child like sweets, this recipe is healthiest one to serve them.
The name of recipe is
- Whole wheat flour 2 cup (if you want you can take 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup Maida)
- Salt pinch
- 2 teaspoon ghee for softening or moien
- Jaggery (grated 1 cup)
- Almond powder 2-3 tablespoon
- Cardamom powder ½ teaspoon
- Sesame seed 1 teaspoon
- Grated coconut powder 1-2 teaspoon (optional)
- First take wheat flour in a bowl, add pinch of salt and add ghee for softening and knead the flour by adding the little water at a time. Cover the dough with a lid and keep it for resting for 15-20 minutes.
- Now, make stuffing. Take the grated jaggery in a bowl. If you are taking big chunks of jaggery, mash this with hands properly.
- Next add almond powder and cardamom powder. Here, it is all up to you, you can use other dry fruit powders as per your taste and preference.
- Now, add sesame seeds and coconut powder. You can add other seeds as well.
- Next, mixed all the things properly. Add little ghee to make stuffing smooth.
- Now, take the dough and make balls and starting rolling the paratha with the help of rolling pins.
- Next, fill out the jaggery filling and seal it properly, again roll it like we do for other stuffed parathas.
- Heat the tawa and roast the paratha from both side by applying ghee gradually on both sides.
- When it gets roasted golden brown from both sides, turn off the gas and serve the hot paratha with chunda ( a kind of sweet pickle that is made by grating the fruits of your chocie like mango or amla) or milk.
- You can prepare the stuffing once and can store this in an airtight container. Use this when needed.
- Apart from jaggery paratha, you can make jaggery roti as well. For making this, first take jaggery in a bowl and add hot water. Put this mixture as it is for 15-20 minutes. Now, with the help of sieve take out jaggery chucks and use only sweet water. Use this sweet water for kneading the dough. Keep the dough for resting for 15-20 minutes. And then make roti with this. Your sweet and tasty jaggery roti will be ready to eat.
- You can make jaggery rice too. It is another easy and healthy recipe with jaggery. Read this post to know more “How to make Jaggery rice”.
- Use of jaggery is extremely beneficial during winter. Try to use more innovative ways to add jaggery in your diet during this season.
So, this is all for now.
I am hoping, you liked this post and jaggery paratha recipe.
Did you make something else with jaggery? Please share!
Check other posts of this series, click here.
read the first post ( if you had missed) Amaranth Paratha
Read the second post Barnyard millet khichdi
Read third post Chickpea salad with carrot soup
Read fourth post Dal Dhokli
Read fifth post Energy Buddha Bowl
Read sixth post Fenugreek (Methi) Thepla
Seventh post Green (Spinach) chapati with bottle gourd curry
Read 8th post Handvo
Read 9th post Idli with a healthy twist
If you like my content, then please follow me on
And subscribe to