Oats is a complex carbohydrate that is famed worldwide for its impressive nutritional profile. Oats are highly nutritious and considered as one of the best options for healthy breakfast.
Benefits of eating oats as a breakfast
Eating oats in breakfast offers many health benefits. Such as:
- It is incredibly nutritious and rich source of minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants. Oats is also high in fiber and low in calories. It is one of the nutrient dense foods that you can enjoy in breakfast.
- Because of high fiber content, oats help in keeping you full for longer, that’s why consider as a great option for those who want to lose weight.
- Oats is also considered as a best breakfast option for diabetic people. It helps in blood sugar management and Improve insulin sensitivity.
- Oats can lower the risk of heart diseases by lowering the LDL and total cholesterol level.
- Studies have shown that oats bran help in reliving constipation and good for your digestive system.
Because of these amazing health benefits, many people all across the globe prefer oats as their favorite breakfast option. Oatmeal (oats porridge) and masala vegetable oats (savory oats) are two well-known oats breakfast recipes that many people enjoy as a routine breakfast.
But when it comes to serving these traditional oats breakfast recipes to kids, then it can become a big struggle for parents. Many kids did not like taste or texture of oats and they called it “Mushy” and “tasteless”.
I had a similar story like many other parents who want to include oats in their kid’s everyday diet but could not find a way to solve the taste and texture problem that kids make while eating traditional oats recipes.
Few days ago, I was surfing YouTube for healthy breakfast recipes and randomly, an interesting (and TIkTOk viral) recipe has caught my attention. The name of that recipe is “Baked oats”. After watching few videos, I learnt the various interesting versions of “baked oats” recipe and loved the fact that it is best way to include oats in kids’ diet.
What is “baked oats”? How can you make different versions by changing some of the ingredients? And what are some reasons you should give recipe a try as kid’s breakfast? Read the post to know more!
What is baked oats?
As the name suggested it is tasty, healthy oats recipe that has a cake like texture. It is made by adding some amazing healthy ingredients like oats, eggs and banana. You can make it super healthy by adding nuts and fruits of your choice.
We can create plenty of interesting versions of baked oats recipe but so far, I had made two versions (chocolate and vanilla) for my girls. And they liked it so much.
Here is a step-by-step method to make these versions.
Baked Oats ( TikTok Inspired): An interesting recipe to enjoy oats in breakfast!
Vanilla flavor baked oats
This ingredient list is for making 1 serving of baked oats. Increase the quantity of ingredients accordingly, if you want to make more.
- Oats: 1 cup classic oats, (take classic oats only for this recipe. avoid using steel cut oats as they did not give a proper texture to final recipe. You can also use oats flour instead of whole oats. For making oats flour, you just need to grind the oats in a blender for 1-3 minutes.)
- Egg: 1
- Banana: 1 (optional)
- Salt: a pinch
- Baking powder: 1 TSP
- Vanilla Essence: 1 TSP
- Natural sweetener: honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar 2 TSP or as per your taste.
- Topping of your choice: Greek yogurt, peanut butter, chocolate chips etc.
First take all the ingredients in blender and blend it for 1-3 minutes. Blending time may vary slightly as per speed of your blender.
Now, take a ramekins or baking tray (I had taken 8-inch tray) and grease it properly by using cooking spray.
Now, pour the mixture evenly on it. On top layer, you can add some fancy sprinkles or chocolate chips to add extra fun for kids.
Next, bake it for 15-20 minutes. Before taking out, check it by inserting a knife or toothpick. If nothing comes out, that it means your oats are baked properly.
Serve it by adding toppings of your choice.
Chocolate flavor baked oats
- Oats -1 cup
- Egg -1
- Banana-1 (optional)
- Sweetener of your choice- Maple syrup, honey or coconut sugar as per your taste (I had taken 3 TSP coconut sugar as sweetener)
- Baking powder- 1 TSP
- Salt- a pinch
- Cacao powder- ATBSP
- Dark chocolate chips- handful
- Follow the same method as we did in Vanilla flavor baked oats. First, take all the ingredients and blend this uniformly in a blender for few minutes.
- Instead of vanilla essence, use cacao powder and do not forget to handful dark chocolate chips to give this a perfect chocolate flavor.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Before taking out, check it by inserting a knife or toothpick. If nothing comes out, that it means your chocolate flavor oats are baked properly.
- Add toppings of your choice and enjoy this as a healthy-tasty breakfast or snack.
Reasons why should you give this recipe a try!
- This is a healthy but tasty recipe. The ingredients are wholesome and healthy. This recipe is one of the best ways to include oats in our kid’s diet.
- The process is easy and un-complicated. Even kids can learn this recipe easily with proper adult super vision.
- You can make it ahead. You can store this in an air-tight container for up to 1 week and can serve this as a cake like breakfast for whole week.
- You can be experimental with this recipe and can make many interesting versions of your choice by adding different fruits, nuts or other flavors.
Watch this YouTube video to learn some amazing flavors of “Baked oats” recipe.
Hope you liked this recipe.
This is all for now.
Did you had tried baked oats before? What was your experience with it? Please share with me!