Wishing you all a happy Navaratri. May this Navratri bring peace and prosperity for you and your family.
I am sure you all are having lots of dandiya fun and many of you are fasting too for 9 days.
I am planning to keep fast for last 3 days of Navratri and hoping I would be able to follow the proper rituals for at least last 3 days.
In this post, I am sharing two easy fasting recipes, especially for Navratri. Hoping you liked it. Read the post to know more!
Two easy Navratri Vrat recipes for you and your family
- Rajgira flour 2 cups
- Boiled potato 1
- Green chilly 3-4 finely chopped or you can use green chili paste too.
- Cumin seed 1 teaspoon
- Dry spices (red chili powder, coriander powder)
- Rock salt as per your taste
- Ghee as needed
- Coriander leaves as needed
- First take Rajgeera flour in a bowl.
- Add boiled potato in this flour and mixed both things properly. You can adjust the quantity of potato after checking consistency of dough. It should not be too soft nor too hard.
- Now, add salt, cumin seed and other dry spices.
- Next, add green chili and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Add, 2 teaspoon ghee as a Moin(for softness)
- Now, mixed all things properly. And knead the dough by adding little water.
- Prepare the dough and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Now, heat the tawa and make small balls from the dough.
- Roll the parathas like a routine way.
- Shallow fry it on a medium flame by adding little ghee.
- Shallow fry is from both sides, until it turns golden brown.
- Your healthy and tasty rajgira paratha is ready to eat.
My mom usually serves this with potato sabzi or tomato chutney.
Here I am sharing the tomato chutney recipe that is so tasty and healthy as well.
- Finely chopped tomato 3-4
- Green chilly finely chopped 3-4
- Cumin seed for tempering
- Dry spices (red chili powder, coriander powder) as per your taste
- Salt, sugar as per your taste
- Oil 1-2 teaspoon
- First wash the tomato and chop them finely, and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Now, heat the oil and add cumin seed as tadka,
- After spluttering, add green chilies.
- When green chilies change its color, then add tomato.
- Add dry spices and salt.
- Cover the lid and wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in between and check the consistency of tomato.
- When it becomes soft and tender, add 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Turn off the gas, and garnish the chutney with green coriander leaves.
- Now, serve this tomato chutney with Rajgira paratha.
- Your delicious fasting meal is ready to enjoy.
Mordhan ( moraiyo or sama chawal) khichdi
- Mordhan or sama chawal 1 cup
- Potato ½ cup (washed, and cut in fine pieces)
- Green chilies (3-4)
- Tomato ½ cup finely chopped
- Peanut (roasted and grinded)- 3-4 teaspoon or as per your taste
- Oil (2-3 teaspoon)
- Cumin seed (for tempering)
- Red chili powder, coriander powder and salt (as per your taste)
- Green coriander leaves (for garnishing)
- First take Mordhan in a bowl and washed it 2-3 times with clean water. This step is very important, otherwise it may taste slightly bitter.
- Now, soak this for at least 20-30 minutes. Take 2-3 cup of clean water for soaking.
- Cut the potatoes and finely chopped the green chilies.
- Dry roast the peanuts and after cooling down, grind this as coarse powder (you may use whole peanuts, if you like)
- Heat the oil and add cumin seed as tempering.
- When cumin seeds get splutter, add green chili.
- Wait for few minutes, when green chilly changes its color, add potato and peanut mixture.
- As a next step, add dry spices (red chili powder, coriander powder and salt) and cover the lid for few minutes.
- After few minutes, when potato become slightly tender, add Mordhan.
- Now, add water (add approximately double water, means 2 cups here)
- Cover the lid and wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in between once or twice.
- Check, and when Mordhan grains get cooked, add finely chopped tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- After 2-3 minutes, turn off the gas. Your Mordhan Khichdi is ready to serve.
- If you want liquid consistency, then add more water and if you like dry consistency add less water.
- Garnish with green coriander leaves or grated coconut.
- Serve with simple curd or cucumber raita.
- You can use Mordhan in various other recipes too. Like Mordhan Pulav , follow all the steps that we use to make rice pulao, except use Mordhan instead of rice.
- “Mordhan Kheer ” is another exciting recipe. The recipe is same as Sooji or Semolina kheer. You just need to replace Sooji with mordhan.
- You can add the variety of vegetables in “Mordhan khichdi recipe”. (I had shared “fasting recipe”, so added potato only, for routine use you can add other vegetables of your choice to make it healthier)
So, these are two easy recipes for Navratri fasting. Which one you like more, share with me!