Excited to share second post for #Cookingwithkids
And in this post, I am sharing a healthy and tasty Gujrati recipe, “Gujrati Khichdi and Kadhi”.
Angel just loved this recipe combo and, in my household, it is a routine meal and I make it mostly during busy weekends.
So, let’s get started with this recipe.
First begin with “Gujrati khichdi”
- Rice and split pigeon pea ( Tuar dal) mixture- 4 cup (take in 2:1 ratio)
- Finely chopped onion-potato ½ cup
- Curry leaves 3-4
- Green chilies (finely chopped) 3-4
- Mixed veggies of your choice (like cauliflower, peas)- ½ cup
- Peanut (optional)- ½ cup
- Cumin and mustard seeds 1-2 TSP for tadka
- Dry spices (red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder)- as per your taste
- Oil as needed
- Salt, sugar as per your taste
- Garam masala powder- 1 tsp
- First take rice and dal mixture in a bowl, wash it 2-3 times and then soak with clean water for 15-20 minutes.
- Next cut the all vegetables (onion, potato, green chilies and cauliflower)
- Then, heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add curry leaves
- curry leaves change the color, add cumin and mustard seeds for tadka and allow them to splutter.
- Next, add finely chopped potato, onion and green chilies and cook them for few minutes.
- As next step, add other vegetables of your choice and cook them till they turn slightly tender.
- Next, add all dry spices (red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder), and mixed little water.
- Wait for few minutes and mixed everything well.
- Next, add rice and dal mixture and add water (double the quantity of rice- dal mixture)
- Add salt and garam masala. And again, mixed all things properly.
- Take 3 whistle on medium flame. It usually takes 20 minutes to get khichdi cooked properly.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Your tasty Gujrati khichdi is ready to eat
- Curd ( not too sour)- 2 cup
- Gram flour or besan – 3-4 TSP
- Curry leaves- 3-4
- Green chilies- 3-4
- Hing powder- ½ TSP
- Cumin and mustard seed and fenugreek seed -1 Tsp. for tempering
- Dry spices (red chili powder, turmeric powder)- as per your taste
- Salt, sugar- as per your taste
- First take curd and gram flour ( besan) in a bowl and mixed it properly by adding little water at a time. Make sure, there should be no lump in the mixture. This is most important step for making good kadhi. You may use hand blender for this step.
- Now, heat the oil or ghee in a kadhai.
- When it gets warm, add hing powder and curry leaves. Next, add cumin seed, mustard seed and fenugreek seed for tempering and allow them to splutter.
- Next, add green chili and cook it for few minutes.
- When green chili changes its color, add dry spices (red chili and turmeric powder) as per your taste. Use of turmeric powder is optional, and you may skip it to make a typical Gujrati kadhi.
- Add little water and cook this mixture for few minutes.
- Next, add curd and besan mixture and add required water.
- Cook this 15-20 minute or until the besan gets cooked properly. Adjust the quantity of water as per your choice. Typical Gujrati kadhi is usually thin is consistency but I keep it slightly thick.
As another method, you can add green chill and ginger (optional) directly in prepare curd and besan mixture and cook this on slow flame and then, can add tadka above this mixture.
So, this is all for now.
Girls had a gala time while learning this recipe. Hoping you liked it.
Watch the video for step by step tutorial.
Stay tuned for next post, will share another exciting recipe next week with #Cookingwithkids.