Excited to share another post for series #CleverlyinTheKitchen. If you have missed previous post of this series, read here:
In this post, I am sharing another easy and healthy recipe for breakfast. I am sharing three easy and healthy Chilla or pancake recipes in this post. Read the post to know more!
What is Chilla?
Chilla is an Indian style pancake that can be made up with varieties of flours like gram flour, oats flour and semolina. They are quick and healthy and usually served as a routine hot breakfast in many Indian households. You can have them as light dinner too by accompanying with soup. They taste great with chutney, sauce and curd dip.
Chillas are also a versatile recipe and you can make various version of this recipe by using different flours, vegetables and spices. Unlike Dosa, they made up with unleaved batter, so they are quicker but you can add ¼ TSP of fruit salt or baking soda to make them lighters.
There are many types of Chilla recipes are our there, But Besan or gram flour Chilla is most famous. We will start with this well-known recipe.
Besan or gram flour Chilla
- Besan or gram flour
- Finely chopped onion and tomato ½ cup
- Finely chopped or crushed green chili and ginger paste 1 TSP
- Finely chopped coriander leaves as needed
- Salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder as per your taste
- Ajwain or carrom seed ½ TSP
- First take 1 cup Besan or gram flour in a bowl.
- Add all spices one by one.
- Next add finely chopped onion, tomato and green chili-ginger paste into the batter. Add coriander leaves too.
- Now add little water at a time and made a batter of semi-solid consistency.
- If you want you can keep batter for rest for 10 minutes by covering with a lid.
- Next, heat the non-stick pan or skillet for few minutes and apply little oil on it.
- Pour the prepare batter with the help of ladder and spread it evenly on skillet or pan.
- Allow it to cook for one side and flip it when it turns golden brown.
- Roast it from another side too, by applying little oil.
- Your tasty and healthy Besan Chilla is ready to enjoy.
- Serve this with green chutney or curd or tomato sauce
- Try to serve Besan Chilla hot only, it gets drier and did not taste good when you serve this cold. Though, you can add varieties of veggies with other Chilla but with Besan Chilla, avoid adding too much veggies. It tastes best with tomato and onion.
- You can prepare Besan batter ahead to make quick Chillas during busy mornings. Add vegetables at the time of making Chilla.
Oats and Suji Chilla
This one is another quick Chilla recipe that taste so good and great option for healthy breakfast. I do make these Chillas at my place at least once in a week.
- Oats 1 cup
- Suji ½ cup
- Curd ½ cup
- Salt as per taste
- Finely chopped tomato, onion ½ cup
- Oil, mustard seed and sesame seeds for tempering
- Take 1 cup oats (rolled oats) in a bowl and mixed ½ cup Suji in it.
- Next, add ½ cup curd and mixed all things well.
- Now, add finely chopped tomato and onion to the bowl. If you want, you can add other veggies of your choice too.
- Add salt as per taste. Avoid adding other spices for this recipe.
- Now, add water a make a batter of semi-solid consistency.
- In this recipe, we have used rolled oats, so it is important to put this batter for rest for at least 10-15 minutes. Otherwise, unsoaked oats will crack the Chilla.
- After 10-15 minutes, heat the non-stick pan and tawa and add little oil.
- Before putting batter, add little mustard seeds and sesame seeds and allow them to splutter.
- After 1-2 minutes, pour the batter and spread the Chilla evenly.
- Apply little oil on the corner and allow to cook it until it turns golden brown.
- Flip this Chilla gently, if you flip it with pressure, it could break down in middle.
- Roast it from both sides, until it turns golden brown.
- Serve with chutney or curd.
- Your tasty and healthy oats and Suji Chilla is ready to enjoy.
Wheat flour (sweet) Chilla
If you are in mood to eat something sweet in breakfast or want to eat some instant Indian style dessert, then wheat flour sweet Chilla or Puda is great option. Kids will also love this recipe.
- Wheat flour 1 cup
- Suji ½ cup (optional)
- Sugar or jaggery power as per taste
- Cardamom powder, fenugreek seeds 1 TSP (optional)
- Milk as needed
- Take wheat flour in a bowl and add Suji
- Next, add sugar or jaggery powder as per your taste
- Also, add cardamom powder and fennel seeds if you want.
- Add little milk at a time and make a semi-solid consistency batter.
- Heat the skillet and apply little ghee.
- Pour the batter with the help of ladle and spread it evenly.
- Allow it to roast until it turns golden brown.
- Apply ghee again and roast it from other side, until it turns golden brown from other side.
- Your tasty and healthy sweet wheat flour Chilla is ready to enjoy.
I hope you liked these easy, healthy and tasty Chilla recipes. Which one is your favorite? Please share with me.
This is all for now.
Stay tuned for more easy and healthy recipes.
Before ending this post, I want to share something special with you. this week, my blog got featured as a “Top 11 best mom blogs that will inspire you in year 2022”, on prestigious drjoanette.com website. I am feeling honored and want to say a big thanks to all of you for reading and appreciating my content. your support means a lot to me.
read the full post here to check out this list: