#MyfriendAlexa- Why Case-Taking is so important in Homeopathy?
It is week 2 of #MyfrienAlexa, and I am excited to share my 4 postof the series. In this post, I am talking about one of the most important aspect of homeopathy and that is “Case Taking”.
You might have already heard or experienced that homeopaths take a long time to record a case from patient and often asked so many questions about your mental, physical, social and emotional characteristics.
Sometimes it might feel really confusing (and may be irritating too) for so many people that why they are asking all these questions that are not related with disease condition.
Today, in this post I will share the main reason behind that. It is because that homeopathy believes in the “Principle of Individualization”
Theory of Individualization
Homoeopathy works on the principle of “Individualization”, in simple words each individual is a unique person and each one has their own physical, mental, social and emotional characteristics. And so that their disease too.
This is the reason that why a same medicine could not be prescribed to the different persons, who are suffering from the same disease condition. each person is unique and different from others, so their disease condition and individual symptoms will be different from each other.
In short “it is all about collecting the peculiar and individual symptoms of disease person”.
Homeopathic case- taking is a time consuming process that requires a prepared mind set and patience. During this process a trained homeopathic physician asked a long questionnaire about your disease condition and general physical and mental health. It includes: all details of present disease condition, such as:
- Location of disease
- Causation or cause of disease condition
- Any particular sensation that patient experiences
- Modalities (means when and how, the intensity of complaint gets decrease or increase)
- Concomitant (any associated symptoms). during case taking a qualified homeopath also collect the symptoms related to patient’s:
- Past history
- Family history
- Physical general symptoms (appetite, thirst, sleep, dream, digestion, urine etc.)
- Mental general (like, are you an introvert or extrovert, any other peculiar mental symptoms)
- Social or emotional symptoms (again any symptoms or trait that is specific to you)
- After recording all these symptoms, he observed any specific signs (signs are the things that have been observed by the physician for example: redness of eyes, paleness of skin. Sometimes these signs are so specific to a case and help a lot in choosing a correct remedy)
- General physical examination that includes recording of temperature, blood pressure measurement, weight etc.
After this collection of symptoms and signs, he also collects important data from your past history (from any tests, or reports, if you had)
This process is very important to get the desired results from homeopathic treatment.
So along with the qualification of homeopath, it is also important that a patient should narrate his symptoms properly and with minute details.
Sometimes case taking may requires more than one consultation and longer duration of time.
Especially in chronic cases, it might take months for a homeopath to collect correct individual symptoms, and then find a correct remedy for it.
Here I would love to share some practical tips for a proper case taking, if you or your family members are going to take a homeopathic treatment. I am sure these tips will help a lot in smooth homeopathic consultation.
- Be patient, it is a time consuming but most important process of your treatment
- Be mentally prepared, observed yourself for all your physical, mental and emotional symptoms
- Be ready to answer the questions with proper detail
- Do not except results in one single visit or after taking few days of medicine.
“In short, it is a completely individual medical science and success is all depends on the proper collection of symptoms (from physician) and proper narration of symptoms (from the patients)So, it’s all for today’s post, please feel free to ask me any questions or doubt about the homeopathic case taking. And be ready to learn about more about the homeopathy in upcoming post! Stay tuned!In case if you had missed previous 2 posts, here is the links:
I am taking my blog to next level with #MyfriendAlexa season 4 hosted by blogchatter.
Am A homeopathic doctor too and you have well written post on why case taking is important.
Honestly, I have trusted homeopathy when it comes to taking any medications.
This reminded me of going through a personal interview round every time I visit a new homeopathy doctor. Asking if like salty or sweet food, summer or winter…. Thanks for sharing why it is done. I used to think it was break the ice with patients.
This is a rather helpful post to understand the logic behind the long aand time connsuming case study that homeopaths undertake for each patient. It is a very important aspect of the treatment. Thanks for sharing this Surbhi!
Oh maybe that is why homeopathy is believed to be time taking , but it also have it’s own benefit… i am so desperately looking for a good homeopathy doctor in my city to shift my son’s general medications to homeopathy
Thanks for all the reasoning it takes behind the case taking. Shall suggest my friends to be more patient who are taking homeopathy guidance.