In previous post, I had talked about “7 effective tips to learn a new language”. Now, this post is the extension of previous one. In this post, I am sharing a creative way that will help in fastening your language learning journey and will make it easy and interesting. I am talking about “language learning flash cards”.
What is language learning flash cards? What are some amazing benefits of using language learning cards? How can you create your own “language learning flash cards”? And what are some simple ways to use this cards? Read the post to know more!
What are flash cards?
As per Wikipedia, “A flashcard or flash card (also known as an index card) is a card bearing information on both sides, which is intended to be used as an aid in memorization. Each flashcard bears a question on one side and an answer on the other. Flashcards are often used to memorize vocabulary, historical dates, formulas or any subject matter that can be learned via a question-and-answer format. Flashcards can be virtual (part of a flashcard software), or physical”.
Benefits of using flash cards in language learning
Though flash cards are often considered as a best tools for kids to enhancing their learning and vocabulary. But they are equally useful for grown-ups as well. Here are some amazing benefits of using flash cards in your language learning journey.
- Using “Flashcards” add a creative touch (and routine) to your language learning. After initial enthusiasm, language learning may become a boring and may be overwhelming experience for many. Using a “flash cards” make this language learning journey easier and exciting.
- Flashcards can be used for various purposes and especially useful in memorizing complex phrases, words and even grammar rules.
- You can customize “Flashcards” as per your individual preferences. By using colorful pen, pencils and marker, you can create attractive flashcards that will add a visually appealing learning element in your language learning.
- They are easy to carry and you can keep and use them, while you on go.
- Flash cards also help in “space repetition” process. Space repetitions is an effective learning technique that involves increasing time intervals between each review of a flashcard in order to exploit the psychological spacing effect.
- Building a proper vocabulary is one of the most important aspect of language learning. And this seems like a major struggle for many language learners. Using flash cards offer great help in this aspect. You can create multiple flash cards in separate categories (like food, weather, emotions etc.) in different colors and can use them for a quick revision of vast vocabulary.
How to make your own “language learning flash cards” at home?
Though nowadays varieties of ready-made flash cards are available in the market but making your own flash cards has its own fun. It is a creative process and you can enjoy this a “Group family activity” as well.
For making “DIY language learning flash cards”, you will need:
- Color paper: you can buy multiple color paper sheet in bunch
- Color pens, pencils, marker
Other decorative material as per your choice (optional)
Cut the color paper in card shape. You can keep size of cards as per content. For words and vocabulary, use small size cards. While for longer phrases, sentences or grammar rules, keep the card size bigger.
Next select the content that you want to put on flash cards. Write gradually the content on cards by proper pronunciation. This step will help you in rememorizing facts later. After writing down your content, make a quick revision and use flashcards for checking your progress later on.
Different ways to use “Language learning flash cards”
Here are some effective ways to use language learning flash cards:
- You can use language learning flash cards for learning “language characters”. Write the “Alphabets” on one side of the card and write down pronunciation on other side. This is helpful in learning language characters and alphabets.
- You can also add a “visual element” to your flashcards. Put a relevant image of particular word or object one side and write down the meaning and pronunciation in foreign language another side. This will help in enhancing your memory power and you would be able to remind it quickly by recalling image or visuals.
- Additionally, you can create a mini chart or table on flashcard to memorizing grammar rules or verb form.
- You can also use flash cards for playing a “Fun quiz” among family members or with friends. This is a best way to have “Fun while learn”.
- You can shuffle your flashcards for adding extra fun. Shuffle your cards and test your language learning in random manner.
Recently, while learning Korean language, we have made plenty of flashcards. We had used color paper and pens and made following flashcards.
- First, we had created a series of commonly used conversational phrases like hello, thank you, sorry, how are you? One side we had written this phrases in English and other side in Korean. This flash card series has helped in quick learning of basic conversational phrases.
- Next, we had created a “Food item” vocabulary flashcards. And written common food items (milk, bread, rice, pulses etc.) on cards in both language.
- For Pranjal (my little one), we had created a special multi language (Hindi, English, Korean) flash card series and written common conversation phrases in all three language. This series has helped her to learn some Hindi phrases as well. (She need some more practice in Hindi speaking as well)
- Angel (my elder one) has created a series with formal and informal ways to speak common phrases in Korean. In Korean, many common conversational phrases can be speak in both ways (formal and informal). She has made plenty of flashcards to quickly revised both ways to speak single sentence.
All and all it was a great experience and we three spend some quality together with this “DIY language learning flash card” activity.
Did you had tried any kind of flash cards in your learning journey? What was your experience? Please share with me!