Being a millennial, “IQ” was the most common word that I had heard numerous times during my childhood days.
I remember, during those days (90s), this was one of the most favorite and important topic of discussion among parents. Parents often used to compare their kid’s intellectual capability with other kids by using this term (IQ) frequently.
Luckily, time has changed and now “IQ” is not only the single parameter to judge or acknowledge the intellectual capabilities or mental caliber of kids. With changing time, all other factors such as EQ (emotional intelligence), unique skill or personality trait possess equal importance in determining individual caliber or intelligence of kids.
According to a recent scientific study, IQ contribute only 50% for child’s success. there are many other factors like EQ, skills, attitude and self-discipline play an important role in overall grooming and personality development of kids.
Expert suggested that as a parent, we should support our kids to have a healthy balance of IQ and EQ that help them in be successful in future
Nevertheless, IQ is one of the crucial and important aspect of raising confident and intellectual kids. What is IQ? What are the factors that affect IQ of kids? And what are the effective ways to increase intelligence quotient of kids? Read the post to know more!
What is IQ?
As per Wikipedia, it is a total score derived from a set of standard tests or subtests designed to access human intelligence. The term “IQ,” is a translation of the German Intelligenz-Quotient, was coined by the German psychologist William Stern in 1912 as a proposed method of scoring early modern children’s intelligence tests.
Early years of childhood (from birth to 4 years) has been considered as a golden period for brain development.
As per WebMD, during these initial years of life, infant’s brain grows at faster rate and offers an excellent opportunity for learning. up to 5 years of age, your child’s brain developed up to 90% of adult size.
After knowing this fact, many parents adopt an over enthusiastic approach, and push their kids for learning with many intellectual activities since at an early age.
But on brighter side, expert believe “Kids learn better at their own pace. it is not advisable to do so many things all-together do increase IQ or improve intellectual development. They advised that human brain has amazing capability. with proper and planned efforts, we can increase mental capabilities of kids, in later part of life too”.
What are the factors that affect IQ?
According to NCBI, genetic and environmental both factors play an important role in increasing IQ of kids.
As per a cross sectional observational study (performed with 1065 school children between the age of 12 and 16 years from 2 government and 13 private schools) concluded, that “Various environmental factors such as place of residence, physical exercise, family income, parents’ education and occupation, influences the IQ of a child up to a great extent”. This study confirms the importance of these Environmental factor for increasing IQ of kids”.
Three Effective ways to improve IQ of kids!
We will be categorized these factors into three main categories:
- Lifestyle factors
- Relationship factors
Let’s get into detail of each one.
Lifestyle factors (healthy, balanced diet, regular physical exercise and good sleep) are most important aspects of living healthy and happy life. Since childhood, it is very important to pay attention on these factors. Here are some easy guidelines from experts to follow.
- Feed your child Healthy, balanced and nutritious diet that includes whole grain, lots of fruits and vegetables helps in keeping our kids not only physically healthy but also help in increasing intelligence quotient as well. Omega 3 fatty acid is one of the most important components that should be included in your child’s diet. Omega 3 helps in healthy brain development and also work great for immunity and other system of body.
- Regular exercise offers lots of benefits for kids. It increases endorphin (feel good hormones) in body and also help in making kids mentally fit and alert. For getting great results, kids should do 30-45 minutes of exercise every day.
- Sleep is another important factor for good mental health. Kids should get enough and peaceful sleep of 7-8 hours every day for performing their routine activities with ease and comfort.
There are different kinds of activities that work wonder for increasing IQ of kids. Here are some of the options.
- Music and playing instruments: its has-been proved scientifically that music and playing music instruments have a positive effect on child’s brain development. Learn how to play different music instruments helps in increasing IQ of kids and also help in increasing focus and concentration power.
- Playing sport: this one is another important factor that not only work great for physical health but also help in increasing IQ.
- Reading: reading is one of the most important activity that offers lots of advantages for kids. Reading improves critical thinking skill, language development, enhance vocabulary and knowledge. Along with these, reading also help in increasing IQ and make kids smart and confident.
- Brain games: we lived in high tech digital era. Nowadays with advancement of technology, there are plenty of options (for brain games) are available online. These brain games also help in increasing IQ of your kids.
- Mathematical calculations different mathematical techniques such as abacus and Vedic math also work great for improving your child’s IQ and math skills.
Yes, this might look little surprising but the relationship between parents and kids have an integral relationship and put a strong impact on child’s mental and emotional development.
According to a recent scientific research, kids who have a strong positive relationship with their parents and feel emotionally secured with the bond, have higher IQ than those who did not have that kind of bond with their parents. This thing especially important during early childhood years, where kids need love, attention and care from their parents so much. Spend quality time with kids, talk to them and understand their need or problems are some basic steps that makes a major difference in child’s over all personality development.
So, these are some effective ways to improve intelligence quotient of your kids. Did you had tried any of these methods with your kids? What was your experience? Please share with me.