Hi friends, hope you all had a wonderful thanksgiving break.
Here we had a relaxing week. due to heavy rain, we did not had much outdoor activities but overall it was a good week with lots of fun and family time.
Now, move on to this week’s experiment. This week’s experiment is specially dedicated to little kids and I am sure they will love it.
When I had planned this experiment and discuss it with my girls, they had said that it is for little kids but we want to see the magic of explosion. So after much discussion, we had done this and now, I am excited to share it with you all.
The name of experiment is “Lemon Volcano”
As the name suggested, it is an easy and exciting experiment by using few simple and available at home supplies ( lemon, dishwashing liquid and baking soda), at the end of this experiment, we will get a chance to see amazing reaction of lemon juice ( that is acid) and baking soda ( that is alkaline in nature) as an explosion, that is called as “Lemon Valcano”
What will you need?
You will need following things to conduct this experiment at home.
- Lemon juice or lemon cut in half
- Baking soda (1-2 TSP)
- Craft stick
- Glass or cup
- Dishwashing liquid ( fee drops)
- Adult supervision
This experiment can be done by two methods. Here I am sharing both, you can try anyone as per your choice and preference.
- First squeeze 1-2Tsp of lemon juice in a cup.
- Now, take 1-2 TSP of baking soda in a glass ( try to use a narrow one for better result)
- Then, add few drops of dishwashing liquid to above mixture.
- Now, mixed this well with craft stick or other available thing.
- As soon as, you mixed it and a strong reaction will happen as an explosion and you can happily compare this with volcano.
We like this method more.
In this method you can use food color too, for adding extra fun to experiment.
- First, arrange all supplies in a tray for doing it easily.
- Now, cut the lemon into half and put this on a tray horizontally.
- Then add rest of the supplies one by one.
- If you are using food color sprinkle it on lemon, then add few drops of dish Washing liquid and then add baking soda.
- Mixed all these properly with stick, so that baking soda goes deep into the lemon.
- As soon the lemon juice and baking soda mixed properly, a strong acid base reaction happen and we can see this reaction as an explosion.
- With this method, “Lemon Volcano” looks more beautiful and exciting, and kids will have loads of fun while watching this “Lemon Volcano”.
Why this happens?
This is one of the most basic chemistry experiment that help us to understand the reaction between acid and base.
Chemistry might feel a hard subject to kids and they might not be able to understand chemistry principles theoretically but with practical approach and experiments, we can help kids to understand complex phenomenon easily .
Like in this, lemon juice is an acidic substance and baking soda is an alkaline, when we mixed both substance a strong acid- base reaction happens as a fizzy moment and we can enjoy this phenomenon as a “ vacano” .
We had a great time while doing this. Hope you all liked it.
watch video for step by step instructions.
This is all for now, stay tuned , for most exciting experiments are coming in next week.