Baldness or Hair loss is one of the most common problems that affect large number of people all across the globe. Men are more affected than women. What is baldness? What are the causes and symptoms of Baldness? And what are some effective treatment options for treating baldness? Read the post to know more.
What is Baldness?
As per Wikipedia. “Hair loss, also known as alopecia or baldness, refers to a loss of hair from part of the head or body. Typically, at least the head is involved. The severity of hair loss can vary from a small area to the entire body. Hair loss or baldness may cause psychological distress in some people.
Types of hair loss or alopecia
Here are some common types of hair fall:
This type of hair loss is a natural condition that happen with the age. With aging, hair follicles go in resting phase and remaining hair become shorter and fewer in number.
This is most common type of hair loss that affect large number of males and females worldwide. This type of hair loss is caused by hereditary factors. People who have a history of hair fall running in their family are more prone to suffer from hair fall. In males, it is called “Male pattern baldness” and resulting in receding of hair line and may causes bald patches on scalp.
In female, it is called “female pattern baldness” and results in thinning of hair and less likely caused baldness. Androgenic alopecia can begin any time after the age of puberty and progress as serious hair loss or baldness (specially in males) in upcoming years. Brighter side, this kind of hair loss is easily treatable and respond well to medication.
This is another common type of hair loss that is caused as a result of any particular medical event or disease conditions such as hair fall occur after delivery, or after any surgery.
This is a kind of autoimmune disorder where body’s immune system mistakenly acts against hair follicles and causing hair loss on the scalp and also from other parts of body. Genetic factor is usually the cause behind this type of hair loss. It can affect male and female both and results in one or more round patches of hair loss.
This type of hair loss is defined by the complete loss of scalp hair. It is advanced form of alopecia areata.
This type of hair loss causes hair loss from all body parts (including eyebrow, eyelashes and pubic hair)
Causes of hair loss or baldness
Here are some common causes of hair loss.
- Age: with aging, hair thinning, graying of hair and in many cases, hair loss is a common symptom.
- Hereditary: this is most common cause of hair loss worldwide. It affects male and female both. In male it is called “male pattern baldness” and in female, it is called “female pattern baldness”. Medically, this condition is called “Androgenic alopecia”.
- Hormonal changes: hormonal changes during pregnancy and menopause are major cause of hair loss in women.
- Diseases of scalp: there are many types of scalp diseases and infections like seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis and ringworm infection that causes burning, itching and swelling in scalp and also results in hair loss.
- Hair loss caused by some systemic disease such as PCOD, and thyroid disorders. These diseases cause hormonal imbalance in body, and thus results in hair loss.
- Nutritional deficiency: nutrition deficiency is another major cause of hair loss. Deficiency of vitamin B, protein, iron and folic acid results in hair fall.
- Side effect of certain medication and treatment: certain medication like chemotherapy for treating cancer causes hair loss as a side effect.
- Higher level of stress and anxiety also results in hair fall.
- Harsh Chemical treatment (like perming, hair coloring) destroy the normal texture of hairs and causes hair fall.
- Restricted diet (for achieving rapid loss) that lack in protein also causes hair fall in some cases.
Symptoms of hair loss or baldness
- Falling of hair in bunches
- Thinning of hair
- Receding of hair line
- Formation of bald patches on scalp
- Dandruff, itching or other scalp related issues like eczema and ringworms
- Hair loss from other parts of body (in case of alopecia universalis)
- Increased level of stress and anxiety due to hair loss
- Lower self-esteem and lower level of self-confidence due to hair
Treatment for hair loss or baldness!
Medication is first line of treatment for treating baldness. Minoxidil and Finasteride are two of the commonly used medications for treating alopecia or baldness. These two are the only drugs which are approved by FDA for treating Baldness. This medication is available in both forms: Oral and topical. For getting best results, you have to keep continue medications for long duration, otherwise the symptoms of hair loss relapse again.
Recently FDA approved the low dose laser therapy for treating hair loss. This therapy is non-invasive and painless. And help in increasing hair strength. As a drawback, it is expensive and time consuming. it also shows an inconsistent end result. In some people it works well, while in some it did not show any positive response. Also, the long-term safety and efficacy of laser treatment is not yet fully established.
Scalp micropigmentation is an innovative, non-surgical procedure for treating baldness. Though the procedure is primarily well-known for treating male pattern baldness, however it can benefits people of all genders and age. It is an excellent option for treating hair loss in women, for treating alopecia, individuals recovering from cancer and for those patients who had a hair transplant in past. The procedure is also a suitable option for those who had a previous surgery or accident in past and have unsightly scars in scalp.
In this treatment option, microdot tattoos are used to given the appearance of heathy hair follicles in the pattern of a regular hairline. Sometimes, you can also choose a new hair line depending on severity of your baldness. With this procedure, you wouldn’t even notice the difference between your actual hair follicles and the microdot tattoos. This procedure work brilliantly in treating baldness. It helps in improve your appearance and regaining confidence.
If you are looking for a trustworthy SMP studio for Scalp Micropigmentation process, you can visit Picasso Scalp Micropigmentation. Jeff Villenas is the founder and CEO of Picasso Scalp micropigmentation. Jeff has been in the hair industry for more than 8 years and has won numerous international awards for Scalp Micropigmentation. If you are looking for an incredible studio for Scalp micropigmentation in Los Angeles, you can click here.
Furthermore, Picasso scalp micropigmentation studio is also located in Chicago IL and Austin TX. For more information, you can visit their website and can schedule a free consultation to know more about the procedure.
here are some images to get an idea about the procedure.
Hair transplant is another procedure used for treating severe hair loss or baldness. This is a surgical procedure and have risks which are associated with any kind of surgery like scarring and infection. The procedure should be performed under a skilled surgeon and you should follow all the precautions and directions suggested by your doctor.
So, there are some effective treatment options for hair loss or baldness. What are your thoughts? Please share with me.