Happy summer everyone!
Though this summer and summer vacation is little different than our routine and exciting summer (due to corona virus pandemic), but still it is the time to spend some quality time together as a family.
Here in California, state is re-opening slowly but most of the people avoiding social gatherings and frequent outdoor activities to be on safer side.
In my household, girls had finished their online learning for their respective grades and now, we are trying to make this “Not so exciting” summer vacation to exciting and creative summer vacation.
When I had asked them, “what they want to learn from me during this summer vacation”? They both had said, “Cooking”.
I become so excited with their choice and decided to teach them cooking during this summer. To make this learning experience more fun, we had selected same as a theme for our next blog and video series.
So, this summer, we are bringing an exciting series “Cooking with kids”
Cooking with kids
I am sure you all would be agree that cooking is one of the most basic life skills that all kids should learn at an early age. With this skill,
- We can teach our kids creativity, critical thinking and collaboration skills.
- Cooking is an excellent way to teach and test math skills specially in younger kids.
- While learning the art of cooking, kids get a chance to explore different kinds of food on their own. During learning process, we can encourage them to try new foods and also inspire them to adopt healthy eating habits at an early age.
- Cooking encourages kids to work with others to get good results as a tasty recipe and boosts their confidence too.
- Last but not the least, it is best way to spend some quality time together and create lifelong beautiful memories.
So, we are so excited to plan, cook and share different interesting recipes with you all.
In this series,
we will share different kinds of recipes ranging from snacks to starter and from breakfast to lunch. Of course, all these recipes will be based on personal experience and selected by my girls. I will try to keep these simple and interesting and hoping you will be liked it.
Along with recipes, I will share some more important topics related with #Cookingwithkids, such as
- Effective tips for cooking with kids.
- Why should you teach your kids cooking at an early age
- Age appropriate cooking tasks for kids
- Kitchen safety guide while cooking with kids
I am hoping with this series, we will have loads of fun and also help you to some extent to try this basic life skill with your kids.
We had already aired the first episode of “Cooking with kids”. And shared one of Angel’s favorite recipe, “Paneer Masala”. Here are all the details of recipe.
- Paneer or cottage cheese 250 gram
- Oil and ghee as needed
- Whole spices (Cinnamon stick 2-3, cloves and cardamom 4-5 each, whole black paper- 4-5_
- Onion ½
- Garlic 5-6 pearl
- Green chilies 4-5 or as per your taste
- Cashew 10-15 (soaked in hot water for 20-30 minutes)
- Dry spices (red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder) as per taste
- Cumin and mustard seeds (1-2 teaspoon) for tempering
- Garam masala powder ½ teaspoon
- Salt and sugar- as per your taste
- Milk ½ cup
- First do a preparation for making gravy. For making gravy, take the chopped onion and garlic and make a paste by grinding it in a mixer.
- Now, take green chilies, soaked cashew and tomatoes and make another paste. Keep these both paste aside. Keep the consistency of these paste slightly coarse.
- Next heat the oil and add whole spices. After few minutes take out these whole spices.
- Then add cumin and mustard seeds and allow them to spluttered.
- Next, add onion and garlic paste and mixed all this properly. Cook, onion and garlic paste properly for 5-7 minutes.
- When onion and garlic get cooked properly, add green chili, tomato and cashew paste.
- Add all the dry spices (red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder)
- Next add ½ cup milk and mixed all things properly.
- Add salt, sugar and garam masala.
- Now, turn the gas on slow speed and allow to cook this gravy for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take another pan and heat little ghee.
- Put the paneer cubes in this pan for shallow fry.
- When, paneer turns golden brown, take out this in a plate and mixed to prepare gravy.
- Cook whole thing again for 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish with kasoori methi or coriander leaves.
- Your tasty Paneer masala is ready to enjoy.
Watch video for detail instructions:
This recipe is based on my personal experience. I am not a professional food blogger or had any kind of professional culinary learning experience.
Would love to know your favorite paneer recipes?
Hoping you liked this one? And stay tuned for next post and video, will share another exciting recipe in next episode of #Cookingwithkids?
Until then, stay safe, stay at home.