As the prime allergy season approaches, many people will suffer from seasonal allergies. And the severity of allergic symptoms, make the normal routine difficult and cumbersome for individuals, who suffer from allergies.
Before sharing the natural ways to control the allergic symptoms (as a physician), I want to share an honest opinion about allergies based on my personal experience. And I am sharing this not as a doctor but as a normal person.
I had a family history of allergy in my family. My mom is asthmatic and I too have nasal and skin allergies during my teenage days. We had tried various pathies to control the severity of allergic symptoms, ranging from traditional to Ayurveda, homeopathic and natural home remedies. And with this long history of family treatment, I could say one thing confidently and sadly too, that
- · Indeed, allergies are one of the most difficult to cure element.
- · It is easier to control the allergic symptoms rather than curing it from the root.
- · As allergies run in the family, there are high chances to get allergic symptoms if you had the family history of it.
- · Also, allergic attacks are often unpredictable and recurrent. And sometimes, allergies may be life-threatening if we do not control the sudden onset of severe symptoms with proper first-aid
Though all these facts seem disappointing but it is not the end of the hope.
Brighter side, there are few things that could give us a sign of relief, when you or your family members suffer from allergic symptoms.
- · First allergic symptoms are completely manageable and with proper precaution and medication, you can perform your routine activities easily.
- · Second and most important thing, based on my personal experience,
“Your life style habits including diet and regular exercise are one of the most predominating factors that help in controlling the severity of allergies and prevent the further attack of allergic symptoms. If we eat right (avoid that food that is allergic to you) and do regular exercise (pranayama is one of the best things that helps in controlling allergic symptoms) always work great to protect your body from allergic attacks.
It is a common occurrence that when our body immunity get lowers and resistance power decreased, our body becomes more prone to get the onset of allergic symptoms. So, it is mandatory to pay enough attention to your diet and exercise routine, if you or your family member is suffering from allergic symptoms.
Here I am sharing some natural ways that can help a lot to control the severity of symptoms of seasonal allergies. All these natural remedies work on “trial and hit” basis (you have to be patient, wait and watch, what works for you?)
Though there is lack of enough scientific evidence, it is believed that honey might help people to relieve pollen allergies because it contains the small amount of pollen and might help people build up or tolerance to it. Apart from that honey is an excellent anti-inflammatory and antihistamine agent and these properties also help in relieving the severity of symptoms.
What does science say?
In September 2013, a randomized placebo-controlled trial had been done on the effectiveness of honey to control the symptoms of rhinitis over the course of 8 weeks on the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia. The results concluded that honey congestion at a high dose improves the overall and individual symptoms of allergic rhinitis and could serve as a complementary therapy for treating allergic rhinitis.
How to use it?
Consume a teaspoon of raw (preferably organic) honey 3-4 times a day to relieve the allergy symptoms. Keep remember always use it as a “complementary natural product”, and never rely only on this to control allergy symptoms.
Beware of using honey as a natural allergy reliever. It may cause the severe allergic reaction in some people, especially if you had a reaction to honey in the past, avoid using it.
As honey is high in fructose, it can cause hyperglycaemia (rise in blood glucose level) and may exacerbate the pre-existing insulin resistance. It may promote weight gain. So if you suffer from diabetes, obesity, and high cholesterol, avoids using it.
Apple Cedar vinegar
It is a great product that loaded with vitamins, minerals, and an amino acid. It has an excellent anti-histaminic effect. It helps break up mucus, improve immunity and supports lymphatic drainage. Organic raw apple cedar is best for our body. It promotes alkalinity and PH balance of the body, which is the one reason why it works great as an allergy reliever.
What does science say?
Apple cider vinegar also contains amazing mother of vinegar which occurs naturally as stand like enzymes of connected protein. These enzymes help in fighting off the infection and bring back the balance to your body. According to Melissa Gallagher (a famous naturopath) “apple cider vinegar is just as effective in treating allergic reaction as over the counter medication like Zyrtec. It helps in treating the cause of your aliments thus it eliminates your symptoms entirely.
How to use it
Either takes raw apple cedar vinegar 1 tsp 3-4 times a day Or mix 1 Tbsp. ACV with 1 Tbsp. lemon juice and ½ tbsp. organic honey and drink 3-4 times a day.
You have to be patient while using it. It may take time to working on and showing the results.
Use of probiotic
Probiotics are live microbes that can improve a number of good bacteria in the intestine. While studies in using probiotics are still in the early stage, but it is believed that probiotics may have an important role in the prevention and treatment of allergic rhinitis.
What does science say?
Scientific studies show mixed results regarding the use of probiotics in treating allergic symptoms. Probiotics may be beneficial in the treatment and prevention of allergic rhinitis but therapeutic effects remain to be further investigated.
In healthy people, probiotics usually have the only minor side effect. However, in people with the underlying health problem, it may cause serious complications occasionally. It is best to take proper medical advice before using it.
Use of Neti-Pot it is an ancient Ayurveda tradition that used to treat the symptoms of allergic rhinitis. Basically, Neti-pot is a device (like a teapot) used for rinsing the sinuses. The device is filled with a sterile saline solution to flush out the toxins of allergies and irritation.
What does science say?
According to a scientific research done at the University of California (San Diego) showed that nasal irrigation provides a significant improvement in a wide range of allergy symptoms. In this study, more than 200 patients, who used the procedure, experienced a significant improvement in 23 of the 30 nasal symptoms. There was a marked improvement in general health status of patients had been noted?
Usually, the procedure is considered safe but sometimes people can get an infection if they didn’t use the device properly. Also, be cautious about the source of water. According to FDA, tap water that is not filtered may contain bacteria and protozoa. These organisms may stay alive in the nasal passage and can cause potentially serious side effects.
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese procedure in which trained practitioner stimulate specific point on the body by inserting thin needles into the skin. Initially, it was used only in Asian countries to get rid of chronic pain and other ailments, but nowadays this procedure is gaining an immense popularity in western countries as well.
What does science say?
According to NIH, a 2015 review concluded that there is high quality randomized controlled trials demonstrate the efficacy of acupuncture in the treatment of seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis. Also, in a review of published trials, researcher concluded that there is some evidence to support the claim that acupuncture is the beneficial and cost-effective treatment for seasonal allergies, however more scientific studies needed to confirm this evaluation.
Though it is a safe procedure and there are fewer chances of complication. In some cases, there are few complications from the use of acupuncture have been reported, that’s why it is recommended to take required precaution and do it under properly trained therapist.
Herbs are powerful natural substance that can help to fight against allergies naturally. For getting best results, it is must to use them appropriately and at suggested doses. Here are some of the common herbs that can help in reducing the symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
- · Stinging nettle- used as an antihistamine and anti-inflammatory and helps in reducing the symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
- · Blue burr- it is one of the most powerful herbs that has been used traditionally to treat asthma and bronchitis. It also helps in reducing the secretion of mucus and relieves the symptoms of allergy.
- · Astragalus- it contains 40% polysaccharides and helps in treating the symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
- · Triospora cordifolia- it also has a good anti-histaminic effect.
What does science say?
According to University of Maryland Medical center, using herbs is a time honoured approach to strengthening the body and treating disease. A 2007 evaluation of 6 studies of the herb butterbur done at 720 participants indicated that butter burr may help in relieving the symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
Be cautious before using herbs for treating allergic rhinitis. It may interfere with certain medications and may cause the allergic reaction and unwanted side effects in the sensitive individual. So it is must to take professional medical advice, before starting any herbal treatment.
Apart from all this, it is must to do adopt some lifestyle changes to control the allergy symptoms naturally. These are
- · Stay hydrated; drink at least 8-10 glass of water per day. It will help to keep your mucous membrane hydrated and reduce t
- · Know your allergy triggers. Triggers can vary by region of the country and from person to person. During fall, ragweed and other weed pollens, molds are two main culprits that are responsible for fall allergies. Though it is not always possible, try to eliminate or minimize your exposure to allergens can improve allergy symptoms.
- · Pets can bring pollen; pollen and other allergens can get caught in their fur and contribute to the allergy symptoms, so wash them properly.
- · Eat healthy and balanced diet. Beware of the foods that trigger your allergy symptoms. And try to eat food that boosts the immune system.
- · Limit exposure on high pollen count days .use protective measures such as wearing a mask if cannot limit your outdoor exposure.
- · Take a quick rinse in the shower before bedtime especially after being outdoors all day will help keep pollen out of your bed.
- · Keep the pollen out of your home by doing simple measures such as replacing carpet areas with hard surface flooring. Mop or vacuumed your carpet, furniture frequently to keep clear allergens from your home. De-clutter your house to get rid of dust and allergens. Wash clothes and bedding properly to reduce the incidental exposure to allergens.
- · Keep windows and doors closed especially during the days when pollen counts are high. these are some natural ways that can help a lot to deal with troublesome allergy symptoms. Did you have tried any other measures to control your allergy symptoms? Please share with us.
I am a Team Member of Team 5 “Roaring tigress”, our hashtag is #RoarwillRock,
And, next to me, Riddhi from http://www.ritzyglitzy.in/ join this league, and sharing her post, so do not forget to stay tuned!